What is a tenant swap and how do I handle it on Reposit?
A tenant swap occurs when an outgoing tenant is replaced by an incoming tenant during a tenancy. You can only submit charges through Reposit once the tenancy has ended, so you must settle any charges with the outgoing tenant off the Reposit platform when they leave mid-way through the tenancy. You cannot submit any charges for a tenant who has left mid-way through the tenancy.
There are two ways to swap tenants on Reposit:
1) Deed of Assignment (only possible in England and Wales):
- Sign the deed of assignment with the outgoing and incoming tenants
- No need to sign a new tenancy agreement or conduct a new inventory
- Incoming tenant must agree in writing to the original inventory
- Incoming tenant must pay a fee of £50 to be added to the Reposit
Note: An original tenant must remain named on the Reposit for a tenant swap to occur. The incoming tenant must have passed third-party referencing and completed all sign-up steps and pay their fee before moving in to ensure coverage for the landlord. There will be no coverage until the tenant has paid. As soon as the incoming tenant has been added to the Reposit and paid, they will become equally liable for any end-of-tenancy charges.
To proceed, please email Reposit (email@example.com) with the following:
- The full property address as stated on the Reposit
- The full name and email address of the incoming and outgoing tenants
2) New Reposit:
- Check out the current Reposit and create a new tenancy and Reposit
- Issue a new tenancy agreement, conduct a check-in inventory and carry out new referencing checks
- Tenants must pay for the new Reposit